Fire engulfs building at Potters holiday resort
PUBLISHED: 07:37 04 November 2008 | UPDATED: 12:10 03 July 2010
Fire tore through one of the buildings at a popular east coast holiday resort today.
Fire caused major damage to one of the buildings at a popular Norfolk holiday resort today.
The laundry room at Potter's in Hopton-on-Sea was engulfed in flames and needed eight fire crews to tackle the blaze.
Water from a nearby swimming pool had to be used to try and extinguish the fire because of poor water supply near to the Coast Road resort.
Two crews were initially sent to the scene, but eight were needed to tackle the blaze which began at about 11pm last night and was still well alight at about 2am this morning.
The entire 20m by 30m laundry room was alight and fire engines from Gorleston, Hethersett, Acle, Suffolk and specialist crews from Wymondham were sent to the resort.
Foam as well as water was used to try to extinguish the flames. Crews were still damping down the scene at 8.35am this morning. The gas board switched off the supply to prevent an explosion.
Paul Daniels is due to perform at the resort on Sunday and staff at the centre had been gearing up for the 2008 Premier League Snooker Competition during the weekend of December 5, which will see the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis play in the semi finals and finals for the first time at the resort.
Staff from the team at Potters were unavailable for comment this morning.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.