Search

Fire hits Indian restaurant

PUBLISHED: 11:37 07 May 2010 | UPDATED: 17:43 30 June 2010

STAFF had to be evacuated from an Indian restaurant in Gorleston after fire broke out in one of the downstairs toilets.

The two cleaners were working at Bangla Nites in Lowestoft Road when they noticed smoke coming from the toilet at 9.

STAFF had to be evacuated from an Indian restaurant in Gorleston after fire broke out in one of the downstairs toilets.

The two cleaners were working at Bangla Nites in Lowestoft Road when they noticed smoke coming from the toilet at 9.30am on Tuesday and called the fire service.

Firefighters from Yarmouth arrived two or three minutes later to put out the fire at the restaurant, which was closed.

However, the small fire caused damage to one of the water pipes and the kitchen area, resulting in the gas and electricity being switched off while repairs were carried out.

The premises were closed on Tuesday and had not reopened by Wednesday evening.

The restaurant's manager Ahmed Limon said the cleaners were not injured during the incident and estimated the cost of repairing the damage could be between £3,000 and £5,000. He believed the fire may have been caused a cigarette.

A spokesman for Norfolk police said officers were called to the scene shortly before 11am and closed off Lowestoft Road until 12.15pm while the firefighters dealt with the incident.

He added the fire was not being treated as suspicious.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury