Fire hits Indian restaurant
STAFF had to be evacuated from an Indian restaurant in Gorleston after fire broke out in one of the downstairs toilets.The two cleaners were working at Bangla Nites in Lowestoft Road when they noticed smoke coming from the toilet at 9.
STAFF had to be evacuated from an Indian restaurant in Gorleston after fire broke out in one of the downstairs toilets.
The two cleaners were working at Bangla Nites in Lowestoft Road when they noticed smoke coming from the toilet at 9.30am on Tuesday and called the fire service.
Firefighters from Yarmouth arrived two or three minutes later to put out the fire at the restaurant, which was closed.
However, the small fire caused damage to one of the water pipes and the kitchen area, resulting in the gas and electricity being switched off while repairs were carried out.
You may also want to watch:
The premises were closed on Tuesday and had not reopened by Wednesday evening.
The restaurant's manager Ahmed Limon said the cleaners were not injured during the incident and estimated the cost of repairing the damage could be between �3,000 and �5,000. He believed the fire may have been caused a cigarette.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 How Great Yarmouth are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Bid for new affordable homes on 'eyesore' site in Gorleston
- 4 New vintage store opens bigger premises
- 5 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 6 N-Dubz themed bottomless brunch announced for Norfolk
- 7 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 8 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
- 9 Mother-of-two takes over slumber party business
- 10 Picture special: Fire on the Water thrills crowds
A spokesman for Norfolk police said officers were called to the scene shortly before 11am and closed off Lowestoft Road until 12.15pm while the firefighters dealt with the incident.
He added the fire was not being treated as suspicious.