Ten vehicles involved in crash on the Acle Straight
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Ten vehicles were involved in a crash on the A47 Acle Straight this evening.
The collision at Halvergate happened at about 6.20pm this evening and the road was closed for about two hours.
Fire crews from Gorleston, Great Yarmouth and Carrow were called to the incident and firefighters used hydraulic rescue equipment to free one person who was trapped.
Insp Lou Provart, from Norfolk Police, said: 'I do not believe that anybody was seriously injured but it obviously caused a major problem on the road network with traffic diverting to the A1064 to Filby into Caister and into Great Yarmouth.
'The road was closed for the best part of two hours.'
He said that a number of different types of vehicle were involved in the collision and that the road reopened shortly before 8.20pm.
He urged drivers not to drive too close to the vehicle in front of them.
- 1 House of Fun! When Madness video was shot at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 2 'I was in a dark place' - Woman 'saved' by messages on town's pier
- 3 Hot tub wrecked after car smashes through garden wall from Wilkos car park
- 4 Five Great Yarmouth properties with stunning sea views
- 5 Great Yarmouth's branch of Costa closed for refurbishment
- 6 Retired army general joins ranks of Great Yarmouth company
- 7 Inquest into death of woman during cosmetic surgery in Turkey delayed
- 8 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 9 Lovely jubbly! Only Fools and Horses tribute show heads to town
- 10 Brick thrown through window in spate of burglaries in Great Yarmouth area
'Consider stopping distances - incidents can occur very quickly and it is the responsibility of the driver to make sure he or she has an appropriate amount of stopping distance should an emergency occur,' he said.
Check the latest situation on the county's roads on our live traffic map.