First World War dog fights to be recreated during Great Yarmouth air show
- Credit: Paul Johnson/Flightline UK
Dog fights from the First World War will be recreated over Great Yarmouth seafront as one of the star attractions at the resort’s new air show.
A 10-aircraft display team of iconic British and German fighter, ground attack and spotter planes will twist and turn over the shoreline, just as they did above in Great War 100 years ago.
The Bremont Great War Display team has been unveiled by show organisers from the Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement Area, who are staging the June 16-17 event as part of their drive to attract more visitors to the area.
The team has a mix of five different aircraft types including Sopwith and Fokker Triplanes, Britain’s first ever military plane a BE2c, SE5a, Junkers CL1 monoplane ground attack aircraft and new for 2018, an Avro 504.
Show director Asa Morrison said: “These Great War planes will provide a rarely-seen aerial spectacle over the Great Yarmouth’s shoreline – and it is particularly fitting, as we commemorate the centenary of the war ending, to remember what these heroic pilots did with basic aircraft during life or death situations over the trenches.”
You may also want to watch:
The Great War team is also marking a milestone, as it is 30 years since they were founded in 1988.
Aircraft include the manoeuvrable fighter triplanes, including the Fokker Dridecker, the same type of aircraft piloted by the legendary German ace Manfred von Richtofen, known as the Red Baron. They are flown by pilots with years of military, civilian, test and aerobatic experience.
- 1 Eight pints pulled in first three minutes as pub's 'happy hour' returns
- 2 Landmark seaside hotel serves 100 by midday as lockdown eases
- 3 'Heartbreak' as school wildlife garden attacked over Easter
- 4 Lockdown easing brings joy, smiles and hope on Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 5 Two men jailed for stealing 'laughing gas' from hospital
- 6 Months of resurfacing work on Norfolk's roads to start
- 7 Drivers delivering for Amazon have hundreds of pounds of pay withheld
- 8 Cosmetic clinic's waiting list grows as clients want pre-lockdown looks
- 9 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
- 10 'Completely new arcade' - Nine businesses to open in historic mall
The Haven Great Yarmouth Air Show is expected to attract 170,000 people and generate an extra £10m for local traders.
Other displays confirmed include the Blades and Wildcats aerobatics team, the Army’s Tigers freefall parachutists and a Long-EZ flying wing. More will be announced in the coming weeks.
The Blades pilots are all ex-Red Arrows, and they are described as the piston-powered version of the RAF’s crack display team, performing breath-taking close formation manoeuvres as well as 350mph head-on crossovers.
More information on www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/air-show
Find out more about the Great War Display Team at www.greatwardisplayteam.com
See a video of the team in display action at www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeJRTtM84c