Fly tipping man fined
A GREAT Yarmouth man has been fined £215 for fly tipping in the town centre. On Friday November 21, Jose Antunes, of 14 Old Wellington Place, pleaded guilty at the town's magistrates court to depositing waste at the George Street and Broad Row car park on September 25.
A GREAT Yarmouth man has been fined £215 for fly tipping in the town centre. On Friday November 21, Jose Antunes, 39, of 14 Old Wellington Place, pleaded guilty at the town's magistrates court to depositing waste at the George Street and Broad Row car park on September 25.
Great Yarmouth Borough Council's Senior Environmental Ranger, Paul Shucksmith, said: “Fly tipping is a constant problem in parts of the town and on this occasion a resident was so incensed at the blatant disregard for the law that she contacted us and provided the lead we required to take action. Mr Antunes could have disposed of the rubbish at Caister tip and it would have cost him nothing, instead he opted to fly tip and this is the result.”
He added: “If people do have excess household waste it can be taken to the tip at Caister, and the council has a service to remove large or bulky items from people's premises. There is no excuse for fly-tipping last year it costs the Council more than £100,000 of tax payers money to deal with it. There are numerous projects that would benefit from that kind of funding.”
To report fly-tipping contact the council's Environmental Rangers on 01493 846478. If residents have problems with waste collection, or to learn more about the bulk collection service call GYB Services on 01493 846846.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 2 Legal challenge over riverside footpath is finally resolved
- 3 Woman threatened with 10in bread knife and two meat cleavers, court told
- 4 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 5 Drone captures unique view of Norfolk landmark
- 6 How can Hemsby best be protected from surging seas?
- 7 New dessert restaurant opens in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Bid for four-storey waterside flats on warehouse site
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Free wi-fi launched in Great Yarmouth’s Market Place