Fly tipping man fined
A GREAT Yarmouth man has been fined £215 for fly tipping in the town centre. On Friday November 21, Jose Antunes, of 14 Old Wellington Place, pleaded guilty at the town's magistrates court to depositing waste at the George Street and Broad Row car park on September 25.
A GREAT Yarmouth man has been fined £215 for fly tipping in the town centre. On Friday November 21, Jose Antunes, 39, of 14 Old Wellington Place, pleaded guilty at the town's magistrates court to depositing waste at the George Street and Broad Row car park on September 25.
Great Yarmouth Borough Council's Senior Environmental Ranger, Paul Shucksmith, said: “Fly tipping is a constant problem in parts of the town and on this occasion a resident was so incensed at the blatant disregard for the law that she contacted us and provided the lead we required to take action. Mr Antunes could have disposed of the rubbish at Caister tip and it would have cost him nothing, instead he opted to fly tip and this is the result.”
He added: “If people do have excess household waste it can be taken to the tip at Caister, and the council has a service to remove large or bulky items from people's premises. There is no excuse for fly-tipping last year it costs the Council more than £100,000 of tax payers money to deal with it. There are numerous projects that would benefit from that kind of funding.”
To report fly-tipping contact the council's Environmental Rangers on 01493 846478. If residents have problems with waste collection, or to learn more about the bulk collection service call GYB Services on 01493 846846.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 New twist in Star Hotel saga as it changes hands for just £1,000
- 2 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 3 See inside new homes taking shape at former Pontins holiday park
- 4 New Banksy-style mural adds to town's crop of street art
- 5 National newspaper names Great Yarmouth as a top autumn destination
- 6 Christmas markets 'spread out across the borough'
- 7 Bid for shop in end-of-terrace house refused
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Mother's shock at son's inquest over lack of mental health improvements
- 10 Iconic seaside venue becomes 'place to be' in Great Yarmouth