Search

Freak reaction to tablet killed woman

PUBLISHED: 10:17 05 November 2009 | UPDATED: 15:31 03 July 2010

A woman who died after taking anti-malaria tablets during a romantic anniversary holiday had a "freak reaction" to the tablets, an inquest heard yesterday.

A woman who died after taking anti-malaria tablets during a romantic anniversary holiday had a “freak reaction” to the tablets, an inquest heard yesterday.

Nicola Burton collapsed and died days after she returned from the Dominican Republic with her husband David, after taking Avloclor tablets which she brought over the counter at Boots.

The 33-year-old had been suffering from stomach pains, headaches and sickness while on holiday and died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King's Lynn on June 5.

Recording a verdict of chloroquine toxicity, Coroner William Armstrong said the death was an enormous tragedy for her family.

During the inquest the court heard that Mrs Burton had been to the doctor's surgery in Dersingham when she returned from her holiday.

Mr Armstrong said: “It was a normal course of action and the tablets were given to them by Boots. At that stage Nicki was fit and well. She was a normal fit and healthy young woman.”

He said: “There was nothing wrong with the tablets themselves. It appears this was a freak reaction.”

On the day she died she had a doctor's appointment booked, but collapsed and was pronounced dead that afternoon.

An adverse event report has been sent to the National Drug Advisory and Treatment centre by consultant histopathologist, Lilani Ranasinghe, who carried out the post mortem.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury