Fry guy's back in business after fire

A FISH and chip business has reopened less than a month after the premises was devastated by fire.Charlie's Fish and Chips, in Nelson Road North, Great Yarmouth has started trading again following an extensive �15,000 refit to provide new cabinets, sink, till and shop television.

A FISH and chip business has reopened less than a month after the premises was devastated by fire.

Charlie's Fish and Chips, in Nelson Road North, Great Yarmouth has started trading again following an extensive �15,000 refit to provide new cabinets, sink, till and shop television.

The walls near the main entrance have also been fitted with new shiny white tiles and the ceiling repainted, while new front panels have been added to the main counter, leaving hardly any evidence of the devastation wreaked by the inferno in February.

But the situation had been very different for the takeaway's owner Kevin Toye, 47, in the immediate aftermath of the blaze, which completely destroyed the front of the shop.


You may also want to watch:


As he surveyed the black and charred remains, he told the Mercury he feared how he was going to pay the repair bill which he expected to run into thousands. He believed he was just seconds from losing his business, but the quick response from firefighters prevented the situation from getting any worse.

However, with a little help from family and friends - and considerable hard graft on his part - he has been able to complete the refurbishments quickly. On some days, he worked until 6am the following morning and then returned to the shop three hours later to continue the refurbishment.

Most Read

On Friday, he said: “Trade has been a bit slow since we reopened, but hopefully once word gets around we are back in business people will start to come in again.”

The ducting underneath the counter has also been replaced as this was also destroyed by the flames, caused by dirt getting into the ducting which carries away gases produced by the cookers. Mr Toye said the way the new ducting had been installed made it easier for staff to clean it.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus