Glorious first attempt for village event
Miles Jermy THE Sun had his hat on providing some glorious weather for the first ever Hemsby Village Festival at the weekend. Crowds flocked to the two day event opened by Mayor and Mayoress Terry and Jenny Easter.
THE Sun had his hat on providing some glorious weather for the first ever Hemsby Village Festival at the weekend.
Crowds flocked to the two day event opened by Mayor and Mayoress Terry and Jenny Easter.
Around 2,500 visitors packed the village playing field, despite the competing attractions of Gorleston's Cliff Top Gala and the Worstead Festival.
Young and old enjoyed musical performances, dance displays and a special summer show from the Hemsby Harlequins.
There was plenty of money raised for good causes by a host of charity stalls and profits from the festival are being donated to the Coastal Villages First Responders and East Anglian Air Ambulance.
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 3 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 4 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 5 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 6 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 7 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 8 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 9 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 10 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
Entertainer Barrie Thornton, who organised the festival with Hemsby Sports and Social Club, said: “For a first attempt it was absolutely amazing and a really good weekend.
“The weather was absolutely superb with people sitting on the grass eating strawberries and cream and soaking up the sun.
“There were full houses for the Hemsby Harlequins Summer Show and the Rock and Roll Rascals and the Isis Egyptian dancers were very colourful and took everyone by surprise.
“We are already preparing for next year's event and I am sure it will go from strength to strength.”