Go-ahead for �2.5m surgery
LODDON residents will have their cramped 450-year-old surgery replaced with a new �2.5m building.The proposals for the new Church Plain surgery building were approved by NHS bosses yesterday.
LODDON residents will have their cramped 450-year-old surgery replaced with a new �2.5m building.
The proposals for the new Church Plain surgery building were approved by NHS bosses yesterday. The new site is near the existing surgery, which it will replace, and opposite Hobart High School.
NHS Norfolk says the current 16th-century building is “arguably the poorest and most inadequate main surgery accommodation in Norfolk” which is “simply not fit for purpose.”
There are narrow corridors, low beams, consulting rooms with no windows and no patient parking. Compared with modern standards, the current building is just one third of the required size, and there are “serious concerns” over fire safety.
The new plans include 11 consulting rooms, a training room, a minor operations suite, dispensary, parking and other facilities. There will be space upstairs for a NHS dentist, a physiotherapy/midwifery room and an education area.
The building work is being paid for by the Church Plain Surgery partners who will own the new building, and NHS Norfolk will pay them rent of �201,000 a year. The business case was approved by NHS Norfolk's board yesterday. Building work is due to start in September.
- 1 Out of stock: Great Yarmouth food bank's uncertain future
- 2 CCTV appeal after series of Great Yarmouth burglaries
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 House of Fun! When Madness video was shot at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 5 Lovely jubbly! Only Fools and Horses tribute show heads to town
- 6 Hundreds sign petition calling for coastal villages bus route to Norwich
- 7 First Buses to change tickets to make travel simpler
- 8 School centre to be named after lifeboat stalwart
- 9 'I was in a dark place' - Woman 'saved' by messages on town's pier
- 10 Ask the Mercury: What is happening to White Lion steps?