Good response to school appeal
FUNDRAISERS have had a good response so far to an appeal for �10,000 to help provide African children with a new brick school.Winterton woman Margaret Corteen has so far received �300 to pay for the new school building to be finished in the Ugandan village of Namutamba.
FUNDRAISERS have had a good response so far to an appeal for �10,000 to help provide African children with a new brick school.
Winterton woman Margaret Corteen has so far received �300 to pay for the new school building to be finished in the Ugandan village of Namutamba.
She launched her appeal in November because the developers did not have enough money to finish the work, forcing children to take lessons outdoors until the work can be completed.
However, there are no books or other teaching materials and the school's old building, which has not been demolished, can not be used because it is in a dilapidated state with peeling paintwork and a leaking roof.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Corteen, of Green Courts, has launched the appeal as she lived in the African country between 1955 and 1967 and sent her son Tony, now 48, to the school.
Her husband Robert worked for a Christian tea plantation.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 9 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
She said if she could raise the figure this would pay for floors doors windows walls as well as furniture and books, lighting and water for the new building, which has a corrugated iron roof.
Anyone who would like to know more about the appeal or to donate can do so by calling 01493 393642.