Search

Homes plan is deferred again over traffic safety fears

The access road and land off East Anglian Way in Gorleston.

Picture: James Bass

The access road and land off East Anglian Way in Gorleston. Picture: James Bass

A decision over a controversial planning bid to build 71 homes in Gorleston has been deferred for the second time by councillors after they heard about safety fears.

On Wednesday night Great Yarmouth Borough Council’s development control committee deferred a vote on Badger Building’s ambition to construct the homes off East Anglian Way by St Mary and St Peter Primary School with one sole access route.

The meeting, which was attended by about two dozen concerned residents, heard that the new homes would pose further risks to children going to and from the school on the already congested East Anglian Way.

Councillors heard another proposed access route through a playing field had been dismissed by the council.

Members of the committee agreed to defer the vote for a second time so the council and Badger Building can consult over the need for an extra access route.

Speaking at the meeting was Andrew Baker, who spoke on behalf of concerned residents.

He described traffic problems as “bedlam” and cited the fire engines would not be able to get down East Anglian Way once the homes are built.

Mr Baker said: “The access point is just not suitable. We have 71 homes with only one access in and out.”

Ward councillors for the area also criticised the planning bid, with Trevor Wainwright criticising the council for blocking a move to have another access point - a move he described as “incredible” and then pledged to take it up with officials responsible at the council.

Fellow councillor Sheila Wright said that “in her eyes” the current access plan was “not safe”.

Marlene Fairhead, of the Magdalene Ward, said: “My concern is to do with the children.”

The plan by Badger Building had led to residents sending in 16 letters of objections, with concerns raised over an increase in traffic and loss of a green space and wildlife.

A planning report stated the highways officials have no overall objection to the scheme and that the provision of a planned car park for the school by the developer and drop off point for pupils would mitigate issues.

An agent for the developer has told the meeting that it had looking at other access points.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury