Gorleston shoppers helping Girlguides
SHOPPERS at the Costcutter Store on Bridge Road in Gorleston are celebrating with news their purchases are helping support local good causes.
The latest donation has seen a cheque for �300 presented to Gorleston District Girlguiding who will put the money toward their trip to Switzerland later this summer. The store, is one of a thousand throughout the country that participates in the Making a Difference Locally (MADL) initiative which was launched in 2008.
The charity scheme works by a specified amount of the cost of certain products promoted in store being allocated to a retailer’s MADL charity fund. The store’s MADL fund is then donated to the retailer’s chosen charity. S
tore owner Nero Nathwani said the charity scheme was a clever way of helping local communities and organisations.
“We are a community store and see people from all walks of life pass through our store, this scheme is wonderful as we are able to choose to support organisations from our immediate local area. Our customers are delighted to know that when purchasing selected products that a small amount is being set aside and that it will be put to good use locally.”
You may also want to watch:
Since the scheme began the store has donated on several occasions helping local schools and charities.
Linda Denton, District Commissioner for Gorleston said they were delighted when Mr Nathwani contacted them with news of the donation.
- 1 Ghostly photos show deserted Yarmouth in lockdown
- 2 Minke whale washes up on beach
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Council pay out six claims to drivers after car park ramp damaged vehicles
- 5 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 6 Neighbours oppose off-licence over crime fears
- 7 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 8 Firearms collector, 72, jailed for having illegal shotgun and pistol
- 9 Inquest rules 'witty and strong-willed' 26-year-old's death accidental
- 10 Norfolk-based Brexit Party founder punished for Covid protest
“We are taking a group of 32 guiding members to ‘Our Chalet’ at Adelboden, Switzerland which is one of the four World Centres of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts and this is such a helpful donation which will really help towards funding the trips that we will be taking when in Switzerland.” said Mrs Denton.
Pictured are Nero and Mila Nathwani with members of Gorleston District Girlguiding who are celebrating the donation they have received from Costcutter Store, Gorleston.