Gorleston students' Westminster visit
POLITICS students from a Gorleston college had a taste of life at Westminster when they met up with local MP Tony Wright. Students from East Norfolk Sixth Form College held a question and answer session about current affairs and life in Westminster.
POLITICS students from a Gorleston college had a taste of life at Westminster when they met up with local MP Tony Wright.
Students from East Norfolk Sixth Form College held a question and answer session about current affairs and life in Westminster.
The visit was organised by the college through the Parliamentary Education Service, which provides a one hour workshop, tour, and viewings of debates in both chambers from the public galleries.
Mr Wright said: “It was a pleasure to meet the students, and a joy to battle it out with them in a gruelling question and answer session. I was very impressed with their broad knowledge of the issues of the day and the workings of the house.
You may also want to watch:
“I believe it is important for students from all across the UK to interact with their MPs and government, as this is important for ensuring that we curb the rise in voter apathy and enabling young people to become engaged in politics and to understand the workings the political system that acts on their behalf.”
Student Victoria Snedker said she was surprised by how small the chamber in the House of Commons was, while several students including Lucy Burns were impressed by the lavish of the House of Lords.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Man released on bail following Gorleston murder arrest
- 3 Vacant bar, restaurant and hotel sells at auction
- 4 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 5 Tiny dog almost loses leg after stepping on broken glass
- 6 Opening date confirmed for new Sports Direct in town's former M&S
- 7 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 8 Man stabbed victim in chest with screwdriver at cemetery
- 9 Police arrest man in Gorleston murder probe
- 10 Former town centre pub set to become flats