Gorleston woman wins Ms Norfolk Curve 2017
- Credit: Picture: Diana Thompson
A Gorleston woman is looking forward to the glitz and glamour her first beauty pageant, after making the finals of a national competition.
Emma-Jayne Relf found out about the Miss British Beauty Curve competition when taking part in a one-off modelling shoot in London, but did not in her wildest dreams expect to reach its final.
After submitting pictures online, the 41-year-old was over-joyed when she discovered she will be representing Norfolk in the finals, which take place in Maidestone in August.
The pageant - which is aimed at women with dress-sizes of over 14 - is split into three categories, Miss for 18-29-year-olds, Ms for over-thirties and Mrs for over 18s who are either married or in civil partnerships. Emma-Jayne will be competing in the Ms competition, after being named Ms Norfolk Curve 2017.
She said: “My first reaction was disbelief more than anything. It’s been a huge confidence boost for me - my confidence has never been higher.”
Emma-Jayne is now hoping the competition will help her to raise awareness of lupus, an autoimmune disease she was diagnosed with in 2003.
She said: “The illness affects me every single day. I suffer from extreme fatigue and kidney, lung and muscle pains. I’m hoping being Ms Norfolk Curve will help make more people aware of the illness.”
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 3 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 4 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 5 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 6 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 7 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 8 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 9 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
- 10 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
She has already secured sponsorship from Lady Vintage, but is still looking for further businesses to sponsor her in the competition.
She added: “My friends are all really excited about it, particularly knowing what I have been through with my illness, and they are all really gunning for me.”