Great Yarmouth Unitarian Church hosts its first same-sex wedding
- Credit: Archant
A Great Yarmouth church has hosted its first same sex wedding, after being granted licence to do so.
While the Old Meeting Unitarian Church has held civil ceremonies in the past, this was its first since the legislation was past to allow it in March 2014.
The couple, who did not wish to be named, tied the knot at the Greyfriars Way church, with Donald McAllister leading the service.
He said: “We are an open, liberal and accepting church and to us, gender is no issue when it comes to love.
“It is brilliant that we are able to offer this now - I’ve been at the church for 10 years now and I never thought I would see the day.
You may also want to watch:
“I have officiated many weddings in my time and I struggle to think of one as lovely as this - the church was full and the atmosphere was phenomenal.”
- 1 Teaching couple moving to Wales after decades in Great Yarmouth
- 2 Shoplifters arrested and car seized as police swoop on street
- 3 Coronavirus rates where you live in Great Yarmouth borough
- 4 Parents react to twice weekly Covid tests for school households
- 5 Drivers face delays following traffic accident on junction
- 6 Hippodrome owners plan to open circus-themed cafe
- 7 £18m price tag for energy hotbed to create 650 jobs
- 8 'Forgotten' pub to go under hammer after fails to sell
- 9 Tributes to kind-hearted dad-of-three who died from Covid
- 10 Police condemn 'blatant' lockdown breaches as 160 fined