Search

Great Yarmouth house blaze drama

PUBLISHED: 16:07 24 August 2010 | UPDATED: 11:57 16 September 2010

Anthony Carroll

A young woman and a child had to flee a Great Yarmouth house in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in its kitchen.

The woman was taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston for smoke inhalation after the blaze started in Camden Road about 3.

A young woman and a child had to flee a Great Yarmouth house in the early hours of this morning after a fire broke out in its kitchen.

The woman was taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston for smoke inhalation after the blaze started in Camden Road about 3.35am.

It is believed the fire started after an oven or cooker was left on and that the woman was babysitting the child, who was thought to be aged about seven.

The woman's partner was not in at the time of the fire.

He tried to break his way into the house when he arrived at the scene and thought she was still inside.

Three fire engines from Yarmouth attended the fire and it took the crews about an hour to put out.

The Red Cross fire and emergency support service unit based at Sprowston was also called in.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury