'Hay cost is through the roof' - Landau drivers want to hike price of ride
- Credit: Daniel Hickey
Great Yarmouth's landau drivers are hoping to increase fares for a ride along the seafront with the price of hay having "gone through the roof".
The current fare for a jaunt on one of the horse-drawn carts is £10 from the landau station on Marine Parade to the Pleasure Beach.
A return journey costs £15 per vehicle.
The proposal, sent by all nine landau drivers to the borough council, requests that the return trip be increased to £20.
Kelly Murkin, 46, a landau operator for 11 years, said the price of hay and horseshoes has "gone through the roof".
You may also want to watch:
"It used to be £30 for a bale of hay. Now it's £50."
The cost of rent, vets and insurance has also gone up over the years, she added.
- 1 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 2 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 3 Dismay at appeal ruling on homes bid for site of former registry office
- 4 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 5 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 6 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 7 Testing ramped up after 'extreme rise' in Covid cases in coastal areas
- 8 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 9 Woman whose house was bombed in the war celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
She also said the horses could only do so many journeys in one day, and an increase in fare for the return journey would ensure the welfare of the animals so they were not overworked to cover the costs of their upkeep.
In a letter to the borough council, Ms Murkin said: "We feel increasing the fare reflects these growths."
The request will be discussed next Tuesday (July 20) at a meeting of the council's licensing committee.
Landau fares were last increased in 2015 when the one-way journey was increased from £8 to £10.
For comparison, similar vehicles in Blackpool currently charge a daytime tariff of £20 for up to four people for a ride of up to 15 minutes.
The nighttime tariff is £25.