Remember the Battle of Britain Few at Great Yarmouth service
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The 78th anniversary of the Battle of Britain is to be marked in a special service at Great Yarmouth Minster.
The Great Yarmouth branch of the Royal Air Forces Association is holding the service in the Minster on September 16 at 6.30pm.
Attending will be the mayor of Great Yarmouth Mary Coleman and councillors.
RAF Cadet Squadron No 221(Gt Yarmouth) will also be on parade at the Minster.
Branch secretary Tom Gilbert said that all are welcome to attend the service in remembering “The Few”.
During the Battle of Britain 544 Fighter Command pilots and crew were killed as were more than 700 from Bomber Command and nearly 300 from Coastal Command.
2,500 Luftwaffe aircrew were killed in the aerial battle.
- 1 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 2 Car flips on to roof in three-vehicle crash in Yarmouth
- 3 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 4 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Alcohol seized during police town centre community patrols
- 9 Former Game store earmarked as enterprise hub
- 10 Council defends cost of £70 posy vases amid criticism
Mr Gilbert added 2018 is also an important one in the history of the Royal Air Force as it is 100 years since it was formed.