Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- Credit: Carl Ross
A Great Yarmouth engineering company will be featured in an episode of Grand Designs this evening.
The episode will see property owner Geoff Wood, 64, decide to sell his home in Spain to build a flood resistant property on the Essex coast.
The design required a significant amount of engineering and is raised 4.5m above the ground — high enough to protect it from rising sea levels.
As part of the build, Sub-tech Precision Ltd & STP Fabrication Ltd (STP) processed 90 tonnes of steel at its Great Yarmouth facility.
Filming began in April 2020 and after two months, the steel began to get shipped to the site in Maylandsea, Essex, by MDF Transport, a Yarmouth-based trucking company.
You may also want to watch:
A team of STP's highly-skilled staff were on site to receive the steelwork and begin installation.
Carl Ross, the firm's managing director, said: "We have been informed from the original designers that this is the largest ever residential cantilevered building attempted in the UK.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 6 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Teens aged 15 and 16 arrested after man stabbed in park robbery
"We are pleased to say that the steel structure that we installed fitted together faultlessly and minimal issues arose for our team. These were dealt with on site by our skilled team and overcome with ease."
Two cranes were utilised for the duration of the task due to the complexity of the build in which over 1,000kg of nuts and bolts were used.
"We can attribute this ease of installation to the high quality drawings that were produced for STP by local company SUBTENO which are based in Poringland. We worked from over 1,500 manufacturing drawings to produce the steel for the build," said Mr Ross.
Mr Ross founded the company Sub-Tech Precision in October 2013 and a year later extended the firm to include fabrication work which led to the company becoming Sub-Tech Precision & STP Fabrication Ltd.
He said that he is looking forward to watching the episode tonight and has invited his team to watch it at his house.
"We are pleased to finally showcase what we can offer to the county and country," he said.
"We are excited to see it tonight."
Grand Designs is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.