Kebab shop owner hopes to bounce back after fire devastates takeaway
PUBLISHED: 09:50 07 October 2018 | UPDATED: 08:40 08 October 2018
A kebab shop owner has described her shock and sadness after her business was destroyed overnight in a fire.
Helena Malelli was left devastated when she heard the news a blaze had ripped through Greek Grill in Southtown Road, Great Yarmouth, during the early hours of Saturday, October 6.
The 28-year-old took over the business around three months ago and said business has been “very good”.
She said: “It’s in a good position and suitable for the area. We are a kebab shop but serve proper Greek kebabs – the best kind.
“To see the business destroyed in one night is tough, there was quite a bit of damage.”
Fire crews from Great Yarmouth, Gorleston, Acle and an aerial ladder platform vehicle from Earlham battled the blaze for more than two hours after receiving reports of the fire at around 2am.
Ms Malelli explained prior to the fire everything had been normal.
She said: “We usually close at 11 but on Friday we stay open later and close at 12.
“We closed down and cleaned up like we usually do. However on this occasion we had friends, a couple from Greece, coming over who wanted to sleep in the flat above for one night.
“They were woken by the smoke in the night; they were upstairs when they started to smell the smoke.
“They came downstairs, saw all the smoke and called my dad. He came to see what was happening and find out for himself and when he saw the smoke phoned for the fire engine.
“I was shocked when I heard; it was a shock for all of us especially for my dad.”
The owner added: “We have no idea what started the fire, maybe something electrical – the fire service is still investigating.”
Mandy Narborough, who owns the neighbouring J N Kitchens and Bedrooms, described the damage as “devastating” and said: “That kind of thing can put people out of business.”
And while Ms Malelli admits she has no idea when the takeaway will open again she is hopeful it will bounce back.
She added: “We are worried but hope we can rebuild soon.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.