Greens' stalwart Jimmy receives MBE
IT was an occasion to remember last Friday for Gorleston Football Club stalwart Jimmy Jones who received the MBE from Prince Charles.Mr Jones was one of 140 people presented with honours by the Prince of Wales during the ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
IT was an occasion to remember last Friday for Gorleston Football Club stalwart Jimmy Jones who received the MBE from Prince Charles.
Mr Jones was one of 140 people presented with honours by the Prince of Wales during the ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
Yarmouth Pleasure Beach chairman Mr Jones, 71, was given the award for services to sport in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in June. He was accompanied at the palace by wife Jane, son Albert, daughter Elizabeth and daughter in law Mandy.
Grandchildren Jordan, Ellery, Max, Jamie, Aaron and Grace and son in law Wayne joined the family for a celebratory meal after the ceremony.
Mr Jones said: “It was an overwhelming experience and went like clockwork - you get put forward in groups of ten and are announced in alphabetical order. You bow, have a little chat and off you go, the Prince was extremely friendly.”
Mr Jones began his first 10-year spell as chairman of the Greens in 1972 and returned to the role in 1996 after serving on the Norwich City board. He stood down as chairman at the end of the 2007-8 season and is the club's life president.
- 1 WATCH: Shock for drivers as car goes the wrong way on A47
- 2 Hotel with 'excellent reputation' up for sale as owner retires
- 3 'A slow down' - Estate agent says housing supply is hitting market
- 4 Body part investigation continues in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 6 Rescue hope for iconic hotel declared 'at risk' by national body
- 7 Wimbledon wild card Olivia through to second round in ladies doubles
- 8 What the census tells us about Great Yarmouth
- 9 Renewed bid to bulldoze 'ugly mess' country pub for homes
- 10 'Queen of knitting' meets third royal at Royal Norfolk Show
The Green's fans showed their appreciation for Mr Jones at half time during Saturday's match with Saffron Walden at Emerald Park.