Greens' stalwart Jimmy receives MBE
IT was an occasion to remember last Friday for Gorleston Football Club stalwart Jimmy Jones who received the MBE from Prince Charles.Mr Jones was one of 140 people presented with honours by the Prince of Wales during the ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
IT was an occasion to remember last Friday for Gorleston Football Club stalwart Jimmy Jones who received the MBE from Prince Charles.
Mr Jones was one of 140 people presented with honours by the Prince of Wales during the ceremony at Buckingham Palace.
Yarmouth Pleasure Beach chairman Mr Jones, 71, was given the award for services to sport in the Queen's Birthday Honours List in June. He was accompanied at the palace by wife Jane, son Albert, daughter Elizabeth and daughter in law Mandy.
Grandchildren Jordan, Ellery, Max, Jamie, Aaron and Grace and son in law Wayne joined the family for a celebratory meal after the ceremony.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Jones said: “It was an overwhelming experience and went like clockwork - you get put forward in groups of ten and are announced in alphabetical order. You bow, have a little chat and off you go, the Prince was extremely friendly.”
Mr Jones began his first 10-year spell as chairman of the Greens in 1972 and returned to the role in 1996 after serving on the Norwich City board. He stood down as chairman at the end of the 2007-8 season and is the club's life president.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 9 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park
- 10 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
The Green's fans showed their appreciation for Mr Jones at half time during Saturday's match with Saffron Walden at Emerald Park.