Harbour poised for conservation protection
GORLESTON'S historic Edwardian harbour is poised to get further protection as plans to extend a conservation area will be rubber stamped next week. The new zone will join the two existing conservation areas in Gorleston which cover part of Cliff Hill and the town centre.
GORLESTON'S historic Edwardian harbour is poised to get further protection as plans to extend a conservation area will be rubber stamped next week.
The new zone will join the two existing conservation areas in Gorleston which cover part of Cliff Hill and the town centre.
Under the proposals, Marine Parade, Lower and Upper Esplanades, Pavilion Road, South Pier, Riverside Road, Pier Plain, Lowestoft Road, Sussex Road and the west side of the High Street will become part of conservation area giving it further protection over future developments.
A report to the borough council cabinet states: “the character of this part of Gorleston is important and worthy of preservation” and that the “special character can be reinforced and enhanced through dynamic, high quality contemporary design”.
You may also want to watch:
The proposals are also supported by English Heritage which said it was impressed by the relationship of the sequence of urban spaces and the groups of nineteenth century buildings.
It adds: “The relationship between the waterside is especially impressive and the rise in the land at the north accentuates the contrasts of the conservation area with the busy port and makes an unusual and historic backcloth.”
- 1 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 2 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 3 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 4 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 5 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 6 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 7 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Dog prices stay high after lockdown boom, buyers say
- 10 Woman suffers fatal heart attack in ambulance outside Paget
Proposals are expected to be given final approval at the meeting on Wednesday at the Town Hall.