Help at hand for Waveney elderly
Elderly, infirm or isolated people in the Yarmouth and Waveney areas can now get wheelchairs, commodes and washboards delivered to their houses.A British Red Cross medical equipment loan home delivery service had been launched at Gorleston's Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life.
Elderly, infirm or isolated people in the Yarmouth and Waveney areas can now get wheelchairs, commodes and washboards delivered to their houses.
A British Red Cross medical equipment loan home delivery service had been launched at Gorleston's Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life.
The centre set up the home delivery service to help elderly or isolated people improve their independence by getting access to medical equipment after it received a �30,000 grant from NHS Yarmouth and Waveney.
Volunteers at the centre had previously only been able to loan out wheelchairs and other equipment to people who visited the Beacon Business Park site.
The NHS grant has enabled the centre to get a van and driver so it can cover an area stretching from Winterton to Southwold.
Peter McGuinness, British Red Cross development manager, said: “Elderly people, especially in rural areas, find it very hard to get here - it was like climbing a mountain for them.
- 1 7 famous faces with Great Yarmouth links
- 2 Town road works extended due to depression in road surface
- 3 'There will be a huge impact' - Councillor's fears ahead of 665 homes vote
- 4 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 5 Care home says changes have been made after damning inspection report
- 6 Everything you need to know ahead of Great Yarmouth Wheels Festival
- 7 Where you can watch fireworks in Great Yarmouth this summer
- 8 Great Yarmouth resident calls for larger bins in borough beauty spot
- 9 Hotel with 'excellent reputation' up for sale as owner retires
- 10 Marine company feeling buoyant after securing pilot launch contract
“The loaning of a wheelchair means that an elderly person can be taken out with their carer or can go out on a family occasion, which would otherwise be impossible for them to do.”
Anyone wishing to borrow medical equipment from the British Red Cross scheme should call 0845 054 7181.