Help at hand for Waveney elderly
Elderly, infirm or isolated people in the Yarmouth and Waveney areas can now get wheelchairs, commodes and washboards delivered to their houses.A British Red Cross medical equipment loan home delivery service had been launched at Gorleston's Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life.
Elderly, infirm or isolated people in the Yarmouth and Waveney areas can now get wheelchairs, commodes and washboards delivered to their houses.
A British Red Cross medical equipment loan home delivery service had been launched at Gorleston's Norfolk Coastal Centre for Independent Life.
The centre set up the home delivery service to help elderly or isolated people improve their independence by getting access to medical equipment after it received a �30,000 grant from NHS Yarmouth and Waveney.
Volunteers at the centre had previously only been able to loan out wheelchairs and other equipment to people who visited the Beacon Business Park site.
You may also want to watch:
The NHS grant has enabled the centre to get a van and driver so it can cover an area stretching from Winterton to Southwold.
Peter McGuinness, British Red Cross development manager, said: “Elderly people, especially in rural areas, find it very hard to get here - it was like climbing a mountain for them.
- 1 Police searching for Patricia Holland believe her to be dead
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 5 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 6 Shop to reopen after fire which caused 'significant' damage
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 10 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
“The loaning of a wheelchair means that an elderly person can be taken out with their carer or can go out on a family occasion, which would otherwise be impossible for them to do.”
Anyone wishing to borrow medical equipment from the British Red Cross scheme should call 0845 054 7181.