‘Idiots with nothing better to do’ - Children’s play area vandalised during half-term
- Credit: Archant
A children’s play area has been vandalised, prompting concerns about safety during half-term week.
Protective matting was ripped up from the playground at Waters Lane Playing Field in Hemsby on Wednesday (October 23).
Keith Kyriacou, chairman of Hemsby Parish Council, said he was painting lines on the nearby football pitch.
"I saw a group of people hanging around the play area," he said.
"One hour later all the matting had been ripped up."
You may also want to watch:
The play area, which cost more than £10,000, was installed almost 20 years ago.
Mr Kyriacou said: "We worked hard to get all that in, and some idiots with nothing better to do rip it all up."
- 1 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 4 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 5 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 6 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 7 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 8 Road closed for two days for resurfacing
- 9 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 10 Warning about ‘you’re wanted for arrest’ cold call tax scam
James Bensly, borough councillor, said: "I believe it's been vandalised and during half-term week it's a nightmare."
He said the amenity would be popular during half-term, with parents taking their children there, but the damage will now deter people from using the equipment.
"It must have taken a lot of effort to get that stuff up," he said.
"It defies me why you would want to do it.
"I just can't get my head around it, why is the biggest question."
In a statement, Great Yarmouth Borough Council said: "The council has inspected the play area in Waters Lane, Hemsby, where an area of surfacing has unfortunately been vandalised.
"As the damage is limited to the removal of a section of wet pour surface, leaving the rubber underlayer intact, the play area can remain open for use, with repairs scheduled to take place as soon as practically possible.
"The council strongly condemns this vandalism and asks anyone who knows anything about this incident, or the identity of the offender(s), to contact Norfolk Constabulary on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."
Waters Lane Playing Field is a large playing field with a children's playground, sports and social club and pavilion which is home to Hemsby FC.