Hemsby villagers to see latest vision for derelict Pontins holiday site
PUBLISHED: 14:23 03 February 2018 | UPDATED: 14:23 03 February 2018
Another “masterplan” is being presented to Hemsby setting out a new vision for the derelict Pontins site.
But parish council chairman Keith Kyriacou has stressed it needs to include a new medical centre, affordable homes, and improvements to Back Market Lane to find favour with villagers.
Leaflets dropped on doormats this week alerting people to the public exhibition taking place at The Bell pub, in The Street, on Thursday, 2-7.30pm.
In a statement the site’s owners Northern Trust said it was looking into a mixed use redevelopment including new-build homes and caravan pitches.
It said: “A draft masterplan showing how this combination of uses could be laid out will be part of the exhibition on which we invited local people to comment.
“This exhibition provides another opporutunity for local people to become involved in resolving the ongoing problems with this site.”
MORE: What is happening to the old Pontins in Hemsby?
This year marks an unwanted anniversary at the former tourism hub - ten years since it suddenly shut.
It was once teeming with life and is now forgotten and forlorn - a sight that continues to frustrate people who wonder why nothing has been done for so long.
Mr Kyriacou said he was interested to see what they had in mind but said developers already had a good idea of what the village wanted.
He said: “I hope they have listened to what we have asked for in the past.
“What they have done is let the place go to wrack and ruin so the parisioners get fed up with it.
“They ought to flatten the whole thing and work from there.
“Before they put in a row of shops and a pub but we do not want any more of that.
“If they come in with a medical centre, an element for tourism, affordable homes, and a footpath, and street lights for Back Market Lane that would be fantastic.”
MORE: Blaze at former Pontins holiday camp in Hemsby, near Great Yarmouth being treated as arson
Dean Minns head of planning at the borough council said officers had already signalled their willingness to accept a housing-based scheme, although members went against their advice and refused an application.
The decision notice, however, was never issued.
He said there had been some interest in the site over the years for various uses but they had never come to anything.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.