Historian’s eye-opener into local sporting history
- Credit: Archant
Local historian David Tubby has published the first book of a trilogy on the sporting heritage of Great Yarmouth, Gorleston and the surrounding villages.
Great Yarmouth’s Sporting Heritage, Part 1 The Early Years covers from the 18th century to the beginning of the Great War in 1914.
The following books will cover the Inter-War Years and the Immediate Post-War Years to 1970.
This first book includes all sports from the popular games of cricket, golf and football to the less well known pastimes of quoits and croquet. Its 100 pages gives a good insight into the early development of over 20 sports, and its early personalities.
Also included are three interesting chapters on the development of the three Victorian recreation grounds which were constructed at Wellesley Road, Beaconsfield Road and Gorleston.
The book retails at £9.99 and is available from WH Smith, Cobholm Miniatures in Broad Row, Music Lovers in Gorleston High Street, Filby Post Office and City Bookshop in Norwich.
The photograph on the front cover of the book is the only pre 1914 action shot of a Great Yarmouth v Gorleston on Sea match that David is aware of.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 3 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
It was taken during the Beevor Cup Final of 1908-09.