Homeless man jailed for stealing bike
A HOMELESS man who stole a £150 mountain bike from a Yarmouth garden to sell for food was jailed for nine weeks yesterday.Luke Chaplin was spotted riding the stolen cycle down Blackfriars Road at about 3.
A HOMELESS man who stole a £150 mountain bike from a Yarmouth garden to sell for food was jailed for nine weeks yesterday.
Luke Chaplin was spotted riding the stolen cycle down Blackfriars Road at about 3.50am on Tuesday after he had taken it from a garden in North Denes Road.
The 31-year-old was jailed after he admitted stealing the bike.
He also pleaded guilty at Yarmouth Magistrates' Court to going equipped for theft after police found him in possession of a screwdriver, hacksaw, a torch and tape when they stopped him on the bike.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates heard that Chaplin had a string of theft convictions from 2006. He stole items to pay for food while he was trying to survive on the streets.
His solicitor Annette Hall said: “He is desperate to get some money together to buy food to live.”
- 1 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 2 Fashion boss treats Yarmouth auntie to Mercedes for 60th birthday
- 3 The budget: Great Yarmouth estate to receive £860,000
- 4 Where sewage is being emptied in rivers and waters around Yarmouth
- 5 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 6 More than 31,000 tickets sold for Fire on the Water
- 7 Public response 'phenomenal' as Yarmouth festival sold out
- 8 This pub can be included on your Trick or Treat round
- 9 Public meetings to be held over 665-home bid
- 10 'People here know my name' - how crisis cafe is helping mental health