Homeless man jailed for stealing bike
A HOMELESS man who stole a £150 mountain bike from a Yarmouth garden to sell for food was jailed for nine weeks yesterday.Luke Chaplin was spotted riding the stolen cycle down Blackfriars Road at about 3.
A HOMELESS man who stole a £150 mountain bike from a Yarmouth garden to sell for food was jailed for nine weeks yesterday.
Luke Chaplin was spotted riding the stolen cycle down Blackfriars Road at about 3.50am on Tuesday after he had taken it from a garden in North Denes Road.
The 31-year-old was jailed after he admitted stealing the bike.
He also pleaded guilty at Yarmouth Magistrates' Court to going equipped for theft after police found him in possession of a screwdriver, hacksaw, a torch and tape when they stopped him on the bike.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates heard that Chaplin had a string of theft convictions from 2006. He stole items to pay for food while he was trying to survive on the streets.
His solicitor Annette Hall said: “He is desperate to get some money together to buy food to live.”
- 1 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 2 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 3 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 4 Police seal in place at home of missing vulnerable 83-year-old
- 5 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 6 Lifeguard, 18, saves teenager from drowning in first days on job
- 7 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 8 Euro 2020 crowds blamed for Gorleston Covid spike
- 9 Almost two dozen arrests on first Saturday after nightclubs open
- 10 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale