Hopton cyclepath work starts in May
A NEW �80,000 cycle path between Hopton and Gorleston could be open by the start of the school summer holidays.Norfolk County Council has been given permission to adopt a section of Warren Road and work is due to start in May to lay down a surface sympathetic to the environment, which could be made from gravel.
A NEW �80,000 cycle path between Hopton and Gorleston could be open by the start of the school summer holidays.
Norfolk County Council has been given permission to adopt a section of Warren Road and work is due to start in May to lay down a surface sympathetic to the environment, which could be made from gravel.
However, the scheme to provide a safer route for schoolchildren travelling from Hopton to Cliff Park schools stoked fears among Warren Road residents that the county council may carry out works to the residential section of the private road, which is maintained by residents' funds.
They also questioned whether the current cycle route alongside the A12 between Gorleston and Hopton was unsafe, saying figures showed there had not been an accident on the A12 path for 15 years.
You may also want to watch:
The section targeted for improvements is the unmade rural section between Gorleston Squash Club and Hopton holiday village, and the path is intended to benefit commuters, tourists and schoolchildren alike.
The news was welcomed by Hopton Parish Council chairman Mike Butcher, who said on his website: “I was informed today by Norfolk County Council that approval has been obtained to proceed with the works to upgrade the Warren Road
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 3 Spectacular show to light up Great Yarmouth's Venetian Waterways
- 4 One person left with serious injuries after Yarmouth crash
- 5 Burglars make off with bird equipment after Great Yarmouth break in
- 6 Police appeal after motorcyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Councillors in coastal village vow to fight 665 homes bid
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Hope steps seen in Danny Boyle's Yesterday will get much-needed repairs
- 10 Teens aged 15 and 16 arrested after man stabbed in park robbery
path between Hopton and Gorleston. This has been a fairly lengthy process with one or two battles on the way but it is very gratifying to know that we have finally succeeded.”