Crop field blaze closes A47 on Norfolk border
- Credit: Trevor Fuller Photography
A large crop field fire has closed part of the A47 on the Norfolk border.
Calls came in with reports of a field fire in Coast Road, Hopton, at about 3pm today (July 19).
The blaze is covering two hectares of land with crops and bales alight.
Five fire crews are at the scene, including one from Lowestoft North, three from Lowestoft South and one from Wroxham.
The fire service requested that the A47 be closed while they deal with the incident.
Plumes of smoke could be seen blowing into the busy carriageway.
Norfolk Police urged nearby residents to keep their windows and doors closed.
- 1 Fire on the Water festival reveals new location for 2022
- 2 The new coastal cafe bringing 'sense of arrival' to resort
- 3 Great Yarmouth seafront fireworks display cancelled
- 4 Seaside fireworks cancelled amid fears for 'tinder dry' dunes
- 5 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
- 6 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 7 Search for relatives of Great Yarmouth man who died aged 61
- 8 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 9 Allotment fire sends smoke billowing into the air
- 10 Waxing and eyebrow threading business opens in Gorleston
The A47 has now been reopened.