Delays on A47 as horse is rescued from ditch
- Credit: Archant
There were delays on the A47 Acle Straight this afternoon as emergency crews worked to rescue a horse from a ditch.
Norfolk Police said they were called to manage traffic at around 3pm (Tuesday, June 16) while fire crews, including a rescue boat, attended the scene at the Halvergate turn.
A spokesman said the Yarmouth-bound carriageway was closed while the effort got underway.
Initially the call came through as a “highway obstruction” but turned out to be a horse in a ditch.
Police were on scene to assist with traffic control with Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service leading on the incident.
A spokesman for the fire service confirmed a 999 call was received at 2.49pm.
Crews from Yarmouth and Carrow, as well as the rescue boat from Carrow, rushed to the scene and “manually assisted the animal to safety.”
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 4 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 5 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 9 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 10 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
The horse was reportedly unharmed.
You can keep up to date with all the latest traffic news via our live traffic map.