New chef and staff now in charge at seafront pub after zero food hygiene rating
- Credit: Archant
A new chef and manager has been brought in at a seafront pub after it was given the lowest possible food hygiene rating of zero.
The Landmark Kitchen on Great Yarmouth’s Golden Mile was told to make urgent improvements or face formal action after it was inspected in April.
Borough council inspectors found a catalogue of concerns over food storage and cleanliness listing ten areas where standards fell short, including the general state of the kitchen which made some areas hard to clean.
But bar manager Tom Abbott said new managers and some new staff were now in place and that everyone was working to meet all the regulations, adding: “It has all got to be right.”
The report said some of the issues had been flagged before and that inspectors were “disappointed.”
The restaurant was warned about storing food to avoid food poisoning after finding uncovered eggs and egg shells as well as uncovered spices and salt that was found to be contaminated.
Inspectors were also worried about raw food being kept next to open cooked and ready-to-eat foods which could result in cross-contamination.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 3 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
Personal hygiene of staff was also identified as a problem and uniforms were criticised for looking “very grey and unclean.”
It added: “You may consider using disposable aprons for different activities. I strongly recommend replacing existing uniforms or washing/bleaching them so they are white, clean and presentable again.”
The inspector also noted she saw no evidence of food hygiene training for staff.
She was particularly concerned there was no fire door to the kitchen which is next to the children’s play area.
In summary the report said the same problems were reoccurring and it was considering formal action.
At the time of the inspection the kitchen had been operating as a separate entity but had now been bought under the control of the bar, Mr Abbott stressed.