Ice rink centrepiece for a festive extravaganza in Great Yarmouth town centre
- Credit: Kieron Tovell
Get your skates on – and glide into the festive season with the real ice rink in Great Yarmouth’s town centre!
The ice rink is the centerpiece of a host of planned Christmas activities, and today the final pieces of construction were underway ready for its first opening day – tomorrow, November 24!
Promoted jointly with Great Yarmouth Town Centre Partnership under the slogan Skate Yarmouth, the festive extravaganza aims to support town centre footfall and trade this Christmas as part of the borough council’s year-round town centre Initiative.
Today, sponsors gathered at the rink to welcome it.
For Neil Munn, operations director of Arena Group which operates the rink, it is a much anticipated return.
He said: “This place has a special place in my heart, and that’s genuine. The people are friendly and welcoming.”
Arena Group is also responsible at the present time for providing two rinks for the Dancing on Ice TV show.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 3 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
He added the majority of staff employed on the rink and in the sales office were local people.
The rink will be opened at noon tomorrow and continue until January 2. It is being sponsored by the Town Centre Partnership, Market Gates, Proserv, Palmers, Norse and the Great Yarmouth Mercury, and media partner The Beach.
Tickets can be booked at www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/SkateYarmouth or the onsite ticket office.
Prices for a 45-minute session and ice skate hire are: £10 per adult, £7.50 per child aged four to 16, and £30 for a family ticket (two adults and two children, or one adult and three children).
However, a special discount has been introduced enabling adults who present their Resident Advantage Card to save £1 on the ticket price, Mondays to Fridays before 3pm, until Tuesday, December 19. Get a card at www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk/ResidentAdvantageCard
Cards are not available from the on-site booking office.
In addition, a Skate Yarmouth Loyalty Card will be available, enabling anyone who skates four times to have a fifth session completely free. Get your card at the skate exchange when the rink opens. Discount prices are available for groups and schools.