Ice-skating rink for Gorleston?
A TEMPORARY ice skating rink has been put forward as one idea for livening up the site of former beach huts on Gorleston's seafront.Gorleston borough councillor Gerry Cook suggested the rink could be erected over the Christmas period to provide an attraction on the Promenade.
A TEMPORARY ice skating rink has been put forward as one idea for livening up the site of former beach huts on Gorleston's seafront.
Gorleston borough councillor Gerry Cook suggested the rink could be erected over the Christmas period to provide an attraction on the Promenade. But he was reluctant to say what kind of permanent facility he would like to see, adding he preferred to wait and see what schemes developers drew up for the site.
Previous plans to open a caf� or bar and restaurant in the area were abandoned in 2006 following objections from residents who feared a bar would ruin the town's historic seafront.
Cllr Cook said: “I look forward to a local entrepreneur coming forward with a good idea and making sure that it is suitable so local people could not object to it. I don't want it to cause uproar. If a local entrepreneur wants to come forward with ideas then he would get a sympathetic hearing from local councillors.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Graham Plant, borough cabinet member for regeneration and tourism, said the site would remain as a clear space, newly-resurfaced with tarmac, unless a developer came forward.
He added: “The council came up with the idea for the bar or restaurant but residents objected to that, so what we are doing now is waiting for somebody to come along with an idea that they want to spend their money on.”
- 1 Woman felt her life was 'destroyed' after rape by two men, court hears
- 2 'Something really fresh for Great Yarmouth' - Empire ready to re-open
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Public urged to check outbuildings as fears grow for missing woman
- 5 Man seriously injured after crash on A149
- 6 Forensic officers back as hunt for missing Patricia Holland in fifth day
- 7 Family ‘desperately worried’ for grandmother missing for five days
- 8 Police sniffer dogs join search for missing woman
- 9 'Very little known' about man, 76, who died at home, inquest hears
- 10 'Busy' wildlife rescue centre bids for a permanent home
The eyesore beach huts were demolished last week.