WATCH: Great Yarmouth man David Dearlove leaves court after murder trial starts
- Credit: Evening Gazette
This is the Great Yarmouth man accused of murdering his stepson 50 years ago.
The photograph and video of David Dearlove, 71, of Wolseley Road, were taken on the first day of his trial at Teeside Crown Court yesterday.
Dearlove stands accused of murdering his young stepson by swinging him round by the ankles and smashing his head into a fireplace, the court was told.
The alleged killing of 18-month-old Paul Booth happened in Haverton, Stockton 50 years.
Paul’s three-year-old brother Peter claimed he had crept downstairs and witnessed the incident through a crack in a door.
MORE; Man stands accused of murderIn 2015, Peter became incensed by a picture posted on Facebook of Mr Dearlove, who moved to Great Yarmouth, holding his younger brother, and as a result gave an interview to the police.
Prosecutor Richard Wright QC told Teesside Crown Court a fractured skull had been the cause of Paul’s death, but the jury needed to decide how it had happened.
Dearlove, who denies murder as well as manslaughter and three charges of cruelty, claimed Paul had fallen out of bed and struck his head on the floor.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 3 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 4 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 6 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 7 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 8 Lifeboat launched to help stranded vessel that had lost power
- 9 'Revolutionary' cancer test trial to begin in Great Yarmouth
- 10 BBC orchestra to play at Norfolk venue for the very first time
Dearlove left the court yesterday without making a comment.