Information at your fingertips
THE latest technology is set to put bus services at the fingertips of passengers in Great Yarmouth.A new electronic information point is due to open at the town's bus station at Market Gates Shopping Centre in the next few weeks.
THE latest technology is set to put bus services at the fingertips of passengers in Great Yarmouth.
A new electronic information point is due to open at the town's bus station at Market Gates Shopping Centre in the next few weeks.
Passengers will be able to use a touch screen to check bus and rail timetables and access transport, media and council websites.
Another screen will display departure information and help people find the right bus bay. Costing £12,000, the kiosk will be protected by CCTV.
There are information points at King's Lynn and Norwich which are used by about 3,000 people a month.
Transport development officer at Norfolk County Council, Jeremy Wiggin, said: “This technology has gone down really well with passengers elsewhere.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 New Norfolk café is selling out of its custard tarts and Nutella-filled croissants
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 5 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 6 Village gets together to repair empty home for Ukrainian refugees
- 7 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Charity football match to boost Norfolk and Waveney MIND
- 9 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 10 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
“There are lots of exciting things we can do and are trying to engage with people to see what the most appropriate technology is to use.
“We expect the Yarmouth kiosk to be particularly well used because there is no information office at Market Gates.”
A number of buses using the station have been using temporary stops while work is carried on to extend the Market Gates Shopping Centre.