Inquest into death of Great Yarmouth boxer Kuba Moczyk delayed to allow further investigations

PUBLISHED: 11:33 25 May 2017 | UPDATED: 11:50 25 May 2017

Kuba Moczyk. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

Kuba Moczyk. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

The inquest into the death of a Great Yarmouth boxer who died after his first-ever fight has been delayed because further investigations are needed.

Kuba Moczyk. Picture: Magdalena MoczykKuba Moczyk. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, was knocked out by a single punch during the final round of his debut bout at the Atlantis Arena in the seaside town on November 19 last year. He died two days later.
A post mortem examination revealed he had died as the result of a traumatic brain injury and an inquest was due to be held next month.

But, at a pre-inquest review hearing today, Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake said the need for further investigations meant the inquest would have to be adjourned.

She added she was likely to name a number of people involved as “interested persons” in the inquest, That will mean they are likely to need to arrange legal representation at the inquest.

Mrs Lake said among those she was considering making “interested persons” were the promoter, the medics, the venue owner and the hirer of the venue.

She said the inquest was now likely to be held in September or October this year.

At his inquest opening, last year, area coroner Yvonne Blake said Mr Moczyk had died of a traumatic brain injury,

She said he was taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston and placed on life support, but was pronounced clinically dead on November 21.

Mr Moczyk’s twin sister Magdalena Moczyk had set up a GoFundMe page called Wake up Kuba in order to raise £20,000 for specialist treatment abroad.

She managed to raise more than £4,000, before he died surrounded by family.

It emerged at the initial inquest hearing that Mr Moczyk had donated his heart to help others.

More than 200 people attended his funeral in December, at which Bible readings were given in both English and his native Polish.

Great Yarmouth Borough Council had previously said it was considering conducting an interview under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act to see whether a prosecution should be brought under health and safety legislation.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury