Search

Toilet fire causes two hours of disruption at hospital’s A&E department

PUBLISHED: 16:50 31 January 2018

James Paget University Hospital, Gorleston, Norfolk.

James Paget University Hospital, Gorleston, Norfolk.

©Archant 2013

The accident and emergency department of the James Paget University Hospital suffered two hours of disruption following a fire in a toilet cubicle.

Some patients had to be evacuated to another area of the hospital after fire broke out in the department’s toilets.

Graham Wilde, chief operating officer at the Gorleston hospital, said: “A small fire was discovered in an A&E toilet in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

“Our usual emergency procedures were followed; the fire service attended and a small number of patients were evacuated to another area of the hospital.
“After deep cleaning, our services returned to normal at 5am with no harm to patients or staff.”

The incident happened around 3am on Tuesday, January 30, with firefighters clearing the smoke - though the fire was extinguished when they arrived.

A 55-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of arson and has since been released pending investigation.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury