Jobcentre closed for deep clean as Covid cases rise
- Credit: Google maps
A jobcentre has closed for a deep clean amid reports of multiple Covid cases among staff.
The Jobcentre Plus in The Conge, Great Yarmouth, was closed today (Wednesday, September 29).
A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) confirmed the service had shut for a deep clean, but added it would be back to business as usual tomorrow (Thursday, September 30).
He was unable to confirm the number of cases among staff.
According to an anonymous source there have been multiple cases at the branch.
The contact also shared concerns about bringing staff back into offices, and a lack of screens.
The DWP said staff would contact people locally to reschedule any appointments.
The shutdown comes as Yarmouth became the first local authority in Norfolk to pass 10,000 cases per 100,000 people.
- 1 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
- 2 Tesco applies to sell alcohol from pub site
- 3 Seaside cafe opens new toy library for dogs
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Crowds pour on to streets to enjoy light and sound display
- 6 Thrilling Fire on the Water show to light up Yarmouth
- 7 They started life in lockdown - but how are these businesses doing now?
- 8 Gorleston high street closed this week for emergency gas works
- 9 Award-winning Halloween event returns to Great Yarmouth this half term
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
As of September 23, the borough had recorded a total of 10,090 cases per 100,000 people since records began, meaning that one in ten people have been Covid positive since the beginning of 2020.
The case rate in the town is 445.6 per 100,000, higher than the national average.