Judgement day for Filby flowers
AFTER months of planning and hard work by villagers it was judgement day on Monday for the region's most successful in bloom community.Volunteers at Filby, near Yarmouth, undefeated in the best kept village category in Anglia in Bloom since 1999, greeted judges on the first day of their 10-day assessment tour of the region.
AFTER months of planning and hard work by villagers it was judgement day on Monday for the region's most successful in bloom community.
Volunteers at Filby, near Yarmouth, undefeated in the best kept village category in Anglia in Bloom since 1999, greeted judges on the first day of their 10-day assessment tour of the region.
Youngsters at the village school proudly showed off the vegetable patch in their conservation area before judges Paul Corfield and Hazel Law toured the rest of the village.
Filby in Bloom spokesman Derek Nicker said: “This year we have more than 200 hanging baskets and 13,500 plants in the displays.
You may also want to watch:
“The colour theme we have chosen is raspberries and cream, reflecting the fact that Filby used to be one of the biggest raspberry producers in the country.”
He said Filby, which is also an entrant in Britain in Bloom which it won in 2002, has about 60 active In Bloom volunteers with nearly everyone helping to some degree.
- 1 All you need to know about Yarmouth's first fair in the park
- 2 Airport-style security coming to seafront club amid spiking fears
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 5 Potters Resort expands into Essex after acquiring new site
- 6 More than 31,000 tickets sold for Fire on the Water
- 7 Spiking in Great Yarmouth club last weekend
- 8 Schoolchildren driving Covid rates across Yarmouth
- 9 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 10 Fire on the water bursts into life on Yarmouth seafront
Other Norfolk Anglia in Bloom entrants include Swainthorpe, in the small village category, Hethersett, small town, Downham Market and North Walsham, town, Norwich, small city, and Yarmouth, Cromer, Hunstanton, Old Hunstanton and Sheringham, coastal resort.
From north Suffolk, Bungay and Oulton Broad are in the small town category, and Lowestoft in coastal resorts.