Village shows off wonderful In Bloom displays and community spirit
- Credit: Derek Nicker
The floral wonders of the village of Filby have been inspected by Anglia in Bloom judges.
On Friday afternoon Anglia in Bloom Judges Nolan Mills and Chris Durham were escorted on their tour of village by Filby in Bloom’s chairman Adrian Thompson and committee member Derek Nicker.
The tour started at the village’s primary school, where the children were delighted to show the judges their Norfolk Show garden which was created without plastic and without compost.
The pupils had won a gold medal for their garden and walked away with the accolade of the show’s best school garden.
At the centrepiece of this year’s Filby roadside displays, the floral spillage of an old farm tumbrel, they met with Toby Travis who with his submission Sir Trott-a-lot had won Filby in Bloom’s competition to name the tumbrel’s horse.
At other displays throughout the village the two judges met In Bloomers responsible for each floral exhibition.
After the tour the judges joined others from the community in the village’s new hall, where they told the audience that they were very impressed both by the quality of the floral displays and the spirit within the community.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 3 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 4 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 5 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 6 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 7 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 8 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 9 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 10 Lifeboat launched to help stranded vessel that had lost power
The results of Anglia in Bloom will be announced on September 12.
Last year Filby won best village at Anglia in Bloom and also scooped a gold award at Britain in Bloom.