Keith is no longer lost for words
IT can take time finding your voice after spending a lifetime without the power of speech.After struggling for years to be understood Keith Ferridge is finally able to share his thoughts and emotions.
IT can take time finding your voice after spending a lifetime without the power of speech.
After struggling for years to be understood Keith Ferridge is finally able to share his thoughts and emotions.
The irrepressible 49 year old has been displaying his wicked sense of humour since receiving a communication device last September.
A popular figure around town he attends Centre 81 in Tar Works Road, Great Yarmouth.
Cerebral Palsy sufferer Keith was presented with the top specification Dyna Vox machine after a six month fundraising appeal.
The target was reached months ahead of schedule as people rallied round to support the cause.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
Some of the first things he had programmed into the equipment was a selection of jokes along with some colourful swear words.
Close friend Rob McCartney has helped Keith to use the touch screen machine which can connect with the internet and send and receive text messages.
Rob said: “Keith has done well with his voicebox and it can be programmed for him to use in specific situations.
“He is using it more and more, but there is a lot more to do and it is not going to happen overnight.
“People are more willing to stop and listen to Keith as it is easier for him to talk to them.
“It is the same type of device as used by Stephen Hawking and Keith chose an American film star voice to sound more glamorous.”