Keith is no longer lost for words
IT can take time finding your voice after spending a lifetime without the power of speech.After struggling for years to be understood Keith Ferridge is finally able to share his thoughts and emotions.
IT can take time finding your voice after spending a lifetime without the power of speech.
After struggling for years to be understood Keith Ferridge is finally able to share his thoughts and emotions.
The irrepressible 49 year old has been displaying his wicked sense of humour since receiving a communication device last September.
A popular figure around town he attends Centre 81 in Tar Works Road, Great Yarmouth.
You may also want to watch:
Cerebral Palsy sufferer Keith was presented with the top specification Dyna Vox machine after a six month fundraising appeal.
The target was reached months ahead of schedule as people rallied round to support the cause.
- 1 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire
- 2 'It's been emotional' - New restaurant to finally welcome indoor diners
- 3 Pile of fly-tipped rubbish (including a car) finally cleared away
- 4 A bad day to launch resort's open-topped bus
- 5 Village bids for 'summer evening vibe' with launch of outdoor market
- 6 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 7 5 amazing Norfolk properties for if you win the lottery
- 8 How did Norfolk man end up buried in Iceland?
- 9 Great Yarmouth man banned from high street at night
- 10 Coastal holiday parks getting £3m investment
Some of the first things he had programmed into the equipment was a selection of jokes along with some colourful swear words.
Close friend Rob McCartney has helped Keith to use the touch screen machine which can connect with the internet and send and receive text messages.
Rob said: “Keith has done well with his voicebox and it can be programmed for him to use in specific situations.
“He is using it more and more, but there is a lot more to do and it is not going to happen overnight.
“People are more willing to stop and listen to Keith as it is easier for him to talk to them.
“It is the same type of device as used by Stephen Hawking and Keith chose an American film star voice to sound more glamorous.”