Keith is no longer lost for words
IT can take time finding your voice after spending a lifetime without the power of speech.After struggling for years to be understood Keith Ferridge is finally able to share his thoughts and emotions.
IT can take time finding your voice after spending a lifetime without the power of speech.
After struggling for years to be understood Keith Ferridge is finally able to share his thoughts and emotions.
The irrepressible 49 year old has been displaying his wicked sense of humour since receiving a communication device last September.
A popular figure around town he attends Centre 81 in Tar Works Road, Great Yarmouth.
You may also want to watch:
Cerebral Palsy sufferer Keith was presented with the top specification Dyna Vox machine after a six month fundraising appeal.
The target was reached months ahead of schedule as people rallied round to support the cause.
- 1 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 2 Man arrested for murder of still missing 83-year-old
- 3 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 4 Man jailed for county lines drug dealing in Great Yarmouth
- 5 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 6 Suspected murder victim had 'heart of gold' and 'loved life'
- 7 Rooms with a view? See two new hotel suites costing £120,000
- 8 7 big projects in Great Yarmouth and when they are happening
- 9 Funding for Hemsby sea defences a 'significant challenge'
- 10 Euro 2020 crowds blamed for Gorleston Covid spike
Some of the first things he had programmed into the equipment was a selection of jokes along with some colourful swear words.
Close friend Rob McCartney has helped Keith to use the touch screen machine which can connect with the internet and send and receive text messages.
Rob said: “Keith has done well with his voicebox and it can be programmed for him to use in specific situations.
“He is using it more and more, but there is a lot more to do and it is not going to happen overnight.
“People are more willing to stop and listen to Keith as it is easier for him to talk to them.
“It is the same type of device as used by Stephen Hawking and Keith chose an American film star voice to sound more glamorous.”