Last traditional supermarket in Yarmouth town centre set to close
- Credit: George Ryan
The last traditional supermarket in the town centre is to close due to falling sales.
The Spar store in the Market Place will close on Sunday.
A spokesperson said: “Owing to a prolonged decline in customer demand, we have regrettably taken the decision to close our Great Yarmouth store on Market Place on August 15.
“This has unfortunately led to the loss of 11 part-time and full-time jobs.”
Along with BHS, which closed last Saturday, with a loss of 25 jobs, it is the latest in a long line of national brands which have left the town centre.
January last year, Marks and Spencer’s closed its doors for the last time, after after have a presence in the town centre since 1911.
While there is an Iceland store under the Market Gates shopping centre, and a large Sainsbury’s store in St Nicholas Road, the Spar store was the last national supermarket chain to operate from the Market Place.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 3 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 4 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 5 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 6 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 9 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 10 Work under way on Yarmouth's new enterprise hub
The Palace Bingo site off Church Plain in the town centre was the former site of the town’s Tesco supermarket before the Extra store opened in Pasteur Road about a decade ago.
The Spar is near to the former Co-op department store which remained empty for four and a half years before it was sold to the Edinburgh Woollen Mill group in March 2015.
The Spar convenience store is now holding a closing down sale and staff will remain on site for a week after it closes to help clear the shop floor.