Lifeboat hero boat for sale
IT is a name that is synonymous with brave life-saving exploits at sea.And now admirers of Cromer lifeboatman Henry Blogg can have a chance to buy a vessel named in honour of the courageous coxswain.
IT is a name that is synonymous with brave life-saving exploits at sea.
And now admirers of Cromer lifeboatman Henry Blogg can have a chance to buy a vessel named in honour of the courageous coxswain.
The lifeboat Henry Blogg, which operated from Cromer between 1946 and 1966, has been put up for sale for an estimated price of up to �7,000.
As well as being named in honour of Blogg's heroic rescues, the boat is only one of two of its kind in the world to have been built with a forward mounted steering position.
And Henry Blogg himself is said to have gone on rescue missions on the boat - even though he had formally retired from his post in 1946.
The boat is being sold by Northern Ireland-based company Nelson's Boats and it is hoped that it may once more plough its way to Cromer if a local lifeboat or history enthusiast snaps it up.
- 1 Council apologises to tenant who lived in mouldy house for years
- 2 Elderly driver taken to hospital after village green crash
- 3 Five Great Yarmouth properties with stunning sea views
- 4 Brick thrown through window in spate of burglaries in Great Yarmouth area
- 5 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 6 Teen who achieved salon dream is national award finalist
- 7 'We need to live our lives' - Mercury survey reveals Covid impact
- 8 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 9 Bid for superbike warehouse bringing 30 jobs shifts to new site
- 10 Injuries reported after crash closes road in Great Yarmouth
The Nelson's Boat's website describes the Henry Blogg as one of the most famous names in the lifeboat service and says buying the vessel would be a worthy project.
However company owner, Ouinton Nelson, said that some work was needed on the Henry Blogg as its owner had tried to convert it into a house boat. The boat is currently moored at Worcester.
Mr Nelson said: “It is early days so far but I hope that the sale of the Henry Blogg gets a lot of interest as it is a very famous name.
“All it needs is someone who is willing to give it good home and look after it.”
The Henry Blogg is a 46ft Watson class boat and is powered by two Ford six cylinder engines.
It has a galley with a gas cooker, four berth forward cabin and a wheel house with a captain's berth.
The Henry Blogg was officially named on the same day as its namesake retired after 53 years of service to the RNLI - during that time the Cromer lifeboat crew was called out 387 times saving 873 lives.
Peter Stibbons, of Cromer lifeboat station, said he welcomed that fact the Henry Blogg was up for sale but doubted that the RNLI would purchase it as it already owned more prominent Henry Blogg related artefacts and would mean taking on new maintenance costs.
Anyone interested in purchasing the Henry Blogg can call Nelson's Boats on 0289 18834030 or visit www.nelsonsboats.co.uk