Lifeboat hero boat for sale
IT is a name that is synonymous with brave life-saving exploits at sea.And now admirers of Cromer lifeboatman Henry Blogg can have a chance to buy a vessel named in honour of the courageous coxswain.
IT is a name that is synonymous with brave life-saving exploits at sea.
And now admirers of Cromer lifeboatman Henry Blogg can have a chance to buy a vessel named in honour of the courageous coxswain.
The lifeboat Henry Blogg, which operated from Cromer between 1946 and 1966, has been put up for sale for an estimated price of up to �7,000.
As well as being named in honour of Blogg's heroic rescues, the boat is only one of two of its kind in the world to have been built with a forward mounted steering position.
You may also want to watch:
And Henry Blogg himself is said to have gone on rescue missions on the boat - even though he had formally retired from his post in 1946.
The boat is being sold by Northern Ireland-based company Nelson's Boats and it is hoped that it may once more plough its way to Cromer if a local lifeboat or history enthusiast snaps it up.
- 1 Do you recognise this man?
- 2 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 3 Trainee probation officer shared intimate photos with convicted murderer
- 4 Out There Festival 2021 begins today
- 5 'It's a big pain' - Third river crossing work leaves businessman frustrated
- 6 Ex-Charter Academy head known for discipline causing stir in new role
- 7 Can you spot yourself at Great Yarmouth Ladies Day?
- 8 Sisters realise late parents' dream by opening coffee shop
- 9 'I'm totally shocked' - metal railings stolen from Gorleston home
- 10 Children’s commissioner opens expanding school’s £7m new building
The Nelson's Boat's website describes the Henry Blogg as one of the most famous names in the lifeboat service and says buying the vessel would be a worthy project.
However company owner, Ouinton Nelson, said that some work was needed on the Henry Blogg as its owner had tried to convert it into a house boat. The boat is currently moored at Worcester.
Mr Nelson said: “It is early days so far but I hope that the sale of the Henry Blogg gets a lot of interest as it is a very famous name.
“All it needs is someone who is willing to give it good home and look after it.”
The Henry Blogg is a 46ft Watson class boat and is powered by two Ford six cylinder engines.
It has a galley with a gas cooker, four berth forward cabin and a wheel house with a captain's berth.
The Henry Blogg was officially named on the same day as its namesake retired after 53 years of service to the RNLI - during that time the Cromer lifeboat crew was called out 387 times saving 873 lives.
Peter Stibbons, of Cromer lifeboat station, said he welcomed that fact the Henry Blogg was up for sale but doubted that the RNLI would purchase it as it already owned more prominent Henry Blogg related artefacts and would mean taking on new maintenance costs.
Anyone interested in purchasing the Henry Blogg can call Nelson's Boats on 0289 18834030 or visit www.nelsonsboats.co.uk