Search

Lifeguard hut plan withdrawn

PUBLISHED: 12:19 15 January 2010 | UPDATED: 16:19 30 June 2010

John Owens

CONTROVERSIAL plans to convert a former lifeguard hut and shelter into a food and drinks space have been withdrawn.

An application for a refreshments stall and seating area on Gorleston Lower Parade was first made late last year and provoked a strong response from numerous local residents and shopkeepers.

CONTROVERSIAL plans to convert a former lifeguard hut and shelter into a food and drinks space have been withdrawn.

An application for a refreshments stall and seating area on Gorleston Lower Parade was first made late last year and provoked a strong response from numerous local residents and shopkeepers.

It proposed the conversion of the hut, which has been used as a police outpost and is just feet from the beach, into a food outlet and the use of a nearby public shelter as a seating area.

However, the scheme was pulled by applicant Mr Formosa this Wednesday, just a week before a final decision was due to be made by Great Yarmouth Borough Council.

Gorleston councillor Bert Collins, who supported the plans, was disappointed by the move but thought it likely another application would be made.

He said: “It's likely he may put in another application just to do up the lifeguard hut and it's probably only a matter of time. To be honest I feel a bit upset. The shelter is putrid and should be pulled down and I think he was possibly going to do the shelter up off his own back.”

Mr Collins added that he thought the original proposals would have allowed the public, as well as paying customers, to sit down and enjoy the view from the shelter. He also rejected the argument that it would ruin similar shops in the area.

“The current building is awful and totally dirty and we can't turn down a business that wants to run there just because it provides competition.”

Gorleston resident Mrs Moore, who believes the old lifeguard hut should be torn down, said that such a development should not go ahead in a conservation area.

“This morning I got the news that the planning application had been withdrawn and I was delighted that common sense had prevailed. If there were another application minus the shelter it would still be a bad idea. We've already got first class food outlets.

“Perhaps those behind the scheme who seem to determined to destroy the beauty and peace of the seafront deal with more pressing matters.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury