Plan to charge for seafront floral tributes is agreed
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
People who want to pay a tribute to loved ones on Gorleston seafront will face a one-off charge of £70.
Great Yarmouth Borough Council’s environment committee has agreed that flowers on Gorleston seafront will only be permitted to be left in vases fixed to the rear of the promenade’s benches.
The vases will be available at a cost of £70.
A report discussed by the committee said: “There have been several complaints received around the volume and condition of some of the items left on the benches.
“This is a sensitive area and the council only undertakes removal when necessary, although Health and Safety in relation to items left remains a challenge with glass vases, metal clips and sharp objects still being left as memorials.”
The decision process also clarified the council’s policy on dedication plaques for benches, which must be formally applied for and licensed by the authority for a renewable period of ten years.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 First Buses to change tickets to make travel simpler
- 3 Hundreds sign petition calling for coastal villages bus route to Norwich
- 4 CCTV appeal after series of Great Yarmouth burglaries
- 5 House of Fun! When Madness video was shot at Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
- 6 Out of stock: Great Yarmouth food bank's uncertain future
- 7 Norfolk woman in running to be named best hair stylist in the country
- 8 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 9 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
- 10 Events planned to empower and support Great Yarmouth girls