What do you want from historic Winter Gardens site?
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2015
A bid to save and revive a heritage landmark on Great Yarmouth's seafront could be bolstered by residents and visitors having their say.
The Winter Gardens restoration project is among only 12 shortlisted nationally to apply to the Heritage Horizons Awards Scheme, with Great Yarmouth Borough Council working with conservation specialists and a preferred operator to finalise the application.
The project's ambition is to save, restore and reimagine the Winter Gardens at the heart of the town's regeneration and daily life as a year-round visitor attraction which makes the most of the unique building, its seafront location and its horticultural heritage.
It will also complement the recently-restored Venetian Waterways and the new Marina Centre, which is currently under construction.
To support the application, residents and visitors are being asked to take part in a survey to find out more about what the public want to see and do in the restored gardens.
You may also want to watch:
The Grade II listed structure is the last UK's last surviving seaside Victorian cast iron and glass winter garden.
In a joint statement, councillors Carl Smith and Trevor Wainwright, leaders of the council's Conservative and Labour groups respectively, said: "Significant work is progressing behind the scenes to realise the community's dream of bringing our much-loved Winter Gardens back into viable and sustainable use, including business case development, architectural work and exploring further funding opportunities.
- 1 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 2 'One in a million' - Bradwell teacher who brought joy to the classroom
- 3 Anger after toilets trashed by youngsters smoking cannabis
- 4 Senior detective's plea to help solve murder of 'lovely lady'
- 5 Classic VW camper van gutted by fire on A47
- 6 Further tributes paid to 'larger than life' Gorleston murder victim
- 7 Inquest into death of 23-year-old found on beach adjourned again
- 8 Trek the city on the T.rex trail
- 9 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
- 10 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
"We're at the start of a competitive multi-stage application process for the major national investment needed.
"Vital work is continuing to ensure we're in the best possible position against stiff competition and we're asking you to help bolster our chances as a community by completing our activities survey."
"Imagine yourself in a restored Winter Gardens in a few years' time. What would be in it? What would you be doing?
"Perhaps you'd be enjoying a meal with family or socialising with friends, admiring the architecture and planting, maybe enjoying an event, exploring the history of the building, learning new skills, or perhaps volunteering and sharing your own skills and memories.
"The project team will feedback your views and ideas into our design process, so everyone's feedback is important."
The survey will be open until January 15, 2021, at www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk/winter-gardens.
A paper survey is also available at Great Yarmouth Library.