New boost for the Wellesley
- Credit: Great Yarmouth Borough Council
A recreation ground in Great Yarmouth is receiving upgrades to improve the experience of athletes who use the site.
The Wellesley Recreation Ground has had its running track resurfaced and will be receiving new flood lights in order to meet requirements made by TrackMark, UK Athletic's new quality assurance scheme.
Rob Andrews, coach and field referee at Great Yarmouth and District Athletics Club, said: “The athletics club are excited about the improvements to the track and field facilities.
"The refurbishment of the track has already provided a better running surface for both sprints and endurance events and modernising the field equipment will give a better and safer facility.
“Upgrading the floodlights will enable us to use all of the field equipment for evening training.”
Andy Grant, chairman of the borough council's housing and neighbourhood committee, said: “The improvements to the athletics track was necessary to ensure the longer-term sustainability of this great facility, and one we hope will positively effect runners of all abilities within the borough.”
- 1 Concern for missing Great Yarmouth man
- 2 School defends Covid policy
- 3 Do you remember when these celebrities visited Great Yarmouth?
- 4 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 5 Plan for new 30 affordable houses in Great Yarmouth
- 6 Car park closed after more erosion at Winterton
- 7 You can help keep Gorleston safe by joining CCTV team
- 8 Banned drink driver led Great Yarmouth police on chase
- 9 Former school, day centres and farm could be sold by council
- 10 Great Yarmouth set to be transformed into a winter wonderland once again