Man charged with wounding
A 24-year-old man was charged last night with the attack of a woman that sparked an armed siege in Yarmouth on Tuesday night. Alan O'Brien was charged with wounding with intent after a 23-year-old woman was assaulted at about 5pm in the Southtown area of the resort.
A 24-year-old man was charged last night with the attack of a woman that sparked an armed siege in Yarmouth on Tuesday night.
Alan O'Brien was charged with wounding with intent after a 23-year-old woman was assaulted at about 5pm in the Southtown area of the resort.
Following the alleged assault, O'Brien, of Southtown Road, and another man barricaded themselves in a block of flats - leading to a four-hour stand-off with armed police officers.
During the siege 20 residents had to be evacuated from their homes and police deployed specialist firearms teams and negotiators to deal with the confrontation.
You may also want to watch:
The woman was initially taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston for her injuries but was later released into the care of relatives.
Police could not confirm if O'Brien was due to appear before Yarmouth Magistrates' Court this morning. The other man involved in the siege was charged with an unrelated offence of shoplifting.
- 1 Drone photo shows £26m seafront leisure centre taking shape
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Election 2021: Low turnout in Great Yarmouth
- 3 'Water runs down the walls' - Woman, 65, hits out at mouldy council flat
- 4 What's opening in Great Yarmouth from May 17?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 6 Buy a B&B as nine for sale in 'boom year' for budget hotels
- 7 Man jailed after abducting 14-year-old girl
- 8 Covid jab centre receives additional vaccination stocks
- 9 Man charged with having more than 220,000 indecent images of children
- 10 Man dies after being found unresponsive in car at retail park