Man charged with wounding
A 24-year-old man was charged last night with the attack of a woman that sparked an armed siege in Yarmouth on Tuesday night. Alan O'Brien was charged with wounding with intent after a 23-year-old woman was assaulted at about 5pm in the Southtown area of the resort.
A 24-year-old man was charged last night with the attack of a woman that sparked an armed siege in Yarmouth on Tuesday night.
Alan O'Brien was charged with wounding with intent after a 23-year-old woman was assaulted at about 5pm in the Southtown area of the resort.
Following the alleged assault, O'Brien, of Southtown Road, and another man barricaded themselves in a block of flats - leading to a four-hour stand-off with armed police officers.
During the siege 20 residents had to be evacuated from their homes and police deployed specialist firearms teams and negotiators to deal with the confrontation.
You may also want to watch:
The woman was initially taken to the James Paget University Hospital in Gorleston for her injuries but was later released into the care of relatives.
Police could not confirm if O'Brien was due to appear before Yarmouth Magistrates' Court this morning. The other man involved in the siege was charged with an unrelated offence of shoplifting.
- 1 Man denies raping woman in flat above fast food outlet
- 2 'Unbelievable grief' - Friend plans memorial garden for Gorleston woman
- 3 Britain's Got Talent golden buzzer winner to appear in Gorleston cabaret show
- 4 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 5 Flats bid for former pub refused over 'cramped showers' concerns
- 6 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 7 Three taken to hospital after eight crews battle holiday park blaze
- 8 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 9 Covid on the coast: Record high for July but case numbers dipping
- 10 'Nobody wants the responsibility' - Town's public art collection for sale