Man charged with Yarmouth rape
Anthony Carroll A 41-year-old man will appear before magistrates tomorrow charged with raping an 87-year-old grandmother in her Yarmouth home.
A 41-year-old man will appear before magistrates tomorrow charged with raping an 87-year-old grandmother in her Yarmouth home.
Andrew Gibb, of Hopton, was arrested on Thursday night and is due appear at Norwich magistrates court where he will be formally charged with raping the woman in the St Peter's Road and Victoria Road area on Easter Monday.
The announcement that a man has been charged with rape follows a statement issued by the 87-year-old's family thanking the police and social services who helped her.
You may also want to watch:
The statement on behalf of her children and grandchildren said: “The family wish to thank the police and social services for all their efforts and kindness at this difficult time.
“She is receiving excellent care after such a horrendous attack.
- 1 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 2 Student nurse's plea after two years of university work stolen from car
- 3 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 4 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 5 Yarmouth bridge will not lift until March 2022 as upgrade works delayed
- 6 Vacant Game store hosts walk-in Covid test centre
- 7 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
- 8 Decision on controversial four-storey flats pushed back
- 9 Shop owners say don't worry about Christmas supplies
- 10 Third teenager arrested over Yarmouth park stabbing
“The family will not be making any further statement and we hope that the press will respect our wishes.”
A team of more than 20 police officers were called in to hunt the rapist who is alleged to have struck sometime between 3pm and 8.45pm.
The woman is currently being looked after in a care home.